The Action menu is the most powerful menu in the program. From this menu, files, records and data can be managed on a large scale. The top part of the menu pertains mostly to records. The middle section pertains to groups of records. The bottom pertains to special features.
The Actions menu is common to all three departments: Sales, Production and Administration. You can take action on one or a group of records through the Actions menu. Many of the choices have keyboard equivalents which are useful when you must perform a task on a regular basis. The keyboard equivalents, when available, are displayed to the right of the menu items.
Items activate and deactivate depending on where you are, splash screen, output layout or input layout.
• Clone Current Record is used to duplicate a record. To duplicate a record, open the record to display its Input layout. If a [Customer] record is being duplicated, a new Customer Account code is automatically assigned. If an [ Item] or [Rep] record is being duplicated, you must manually enter a new Item number or Rep Code.
• Add Record is usable from the Splash Screen as well as the Output and Input layouts. If used from an Output or Input layout A record of the file type being viewed is added. For example, if you are viewing the "All Customers" Output layout and you chose; Action menu >> Add Record , a new "Customer" record opens for Input.
Choosing Action menu >> Add Record from the Splash Screen, the "Select File" dialog box opens and you must choose the file in which you want to add a record.
• Save Record saves all modification on the current record but does not close the record.
• Accept saves all changes to a record and closes the window; same function as the "OK" button.
• Cancel deletes all changes made to a record and closes the window; same function as the "X" button.
• Delete -Void deletes or voids the selected record or records. The Order, Purchase Order and Invoice files allow only the voiding of records; an empty record will continue to exist.
Delete-Void is a "Password Protected" function. The User must be authorized in the "Delete Group" in order to use this function.
• Apply to Selection allows modification of fields to the current selection of records in any file. It is useful if multiple records need the same field modified. It is a "Password Protected" function.
• Show Current Selection...gives you access to the last selection created for a file. Choosing this opens the "File Selection" dialog box so you can choose the file you wish to show the current selection for. Select a file. The number of total records for the chosen file is in the "In File at Startup" field and number of records in the current selection is in the "Current Selection" field. Clicking the "OK" button displays the current selection.
• Show Subset creates a new current selection from a larger group of records. Highlight the desired records using the "Shift" key for selecting sequential records and the "Command" key lets you select discontinuous records. Then choose Action menu >> Show Subset.
• Omit Subset creates a new current selection from all the records that are not highlighted. It is the inverse of Show Subset.
• Unlock Fields unlocks the locked (italicized) fields in the database. This is a "Password Protected" action.
• Relate Files searches for and returns all records related to the current record. For example, in the Order/Invoice of a [Customer] record, selecting "Relate Files" will display Proposal, Order, or Invoice for this Customer.
• Previous Page and Next Page are used to navigate between pages in a record.
• Date Time Calculator... calculates the date and time values as stored in DT fields. DT fields are the combination of date and time and are not dependent of the year 2000. They are based on the number of seconds since midnight Jan 1, 1990.
• New Process and Record... opens the" File Selection" window. Select a file and click the "OK" button. This will cause a new process and new record for that file. Processes are multiple windows which allow you to work with more than one record or area of the program at a time.
For instance, you could be working on one Customer's Order and open a new window to add a new [Order] or a [Lead] record for someone just calling in.
The number of open windows is limited only by amount a RAM assigned to CommerceExpert/WebClerk.
There is no restriction on the files accessed by the multiple windows. You may have multiple [Orders], [Customer] records, [Leads], etc. open at the same time.
• New Process with Selection… is used to open a new window and display a selection of records.
For instance, you may be working on a group of Customers and need to take some other action on a group of Orders or another group of Customers. Holding the "Option" key will show you the current selection for records in the current process.
• Project thru Selection… is used to create a number of similar related records. For example, if you need to make similar Orders for a group of Customers, you select the group of Customers, create an Order for the first, then select "Project thru Selection…" a new Order will be created for each of the Customers in your current selection.
Another typical use is to create a group of "Service" or "Call Report" records for a group of Customers or Leads.