Apply to Selection
One of the features of CommerceExpert/WebClerk allows you to enter or modify fields in any of the files for a group of records selected. This is a powerful tool and should be used with caution.
EXAMPLE: If you have a group of Customers that belong to a Rep and the Territory was givin to a new Rep organization, you can locate those Customers and change them with the "Apply to Selection" feature.
In this exercise, you will learn how to make all the Items in the Items file discountable.
Apply Editor, how to change massive amounts of data quickly
Play Movie: t8_Apply.MOV
1. Actions menu > Apply to Selection
2. The "Apply Editor" screen appears. Change the file to "Items". With the mouse click and hold down on the "File Selection" Popup , in the picture below the words "TechNotes" are in this Popup . A list of files appears. Scroll to the word "Items". When it is highlighted, let the mouse go and Items will become the file in the "File Selection" Popup.
3. Click on the "Search" button to open the "Search Editor"
4. Click "ItemNum" in the "Field" area.
5. Click "is greater than" in the "Operator" area.
6. Do not make an entry in the "Value" area.
This Search isolates all records in which the Item number is greater then nothing. All Items are now in the "Records in Selection" field.
7. The cursor is flashing under the words "Data to be Entered" in the matching field. Type in "True". The field in which the data is to be entered is a True/False (or Boolean) field. We want the field to be activated so we put in "True". Click the "UP" arrow. This puts the "True" into the "Data to Apply" area.
8. Next, scroll down the list of fields under the word "Items". Find the word "Discountable". Highlight it and click "Add". That field has now been entered into the "Matching Fields" area.
The Data to Apply must be directly accross from the Matching Field it is to enter, the number of items in the Data to Apply must equal the number of items in the Matching Field area to complete the process.
9. Click on the "Apply" button. A warning box appears asking you to confirm the Apply to Selection and also telling you that it cannot be undone. In this case it can by selecting the same group of records and applying "False" to the "Discountable" field.
10. When the process is complete, click "OK" to leave the "Apply Editor" and return to the Output screen. All Items are now marked as "Discountable".