Exporting Name and Address for Contact Records
This Technical Note steps you through getting information out of both the "Contact" and "Customer" file. This information will then be sent to a disk file and can be used with other applications and merged together.
You want all the Contacts to use the Customer address to whom they are related.
Your "Contact" records (or the majority of them) do not have an address in them.
You are familiar with the "QuickReport" feature.
Locating the Contacts
The first step is locating the list of "Contacts that you wish to use for the Export.
1. Using the "Search Editor", find the Customers for whom you wish to Export Contacts. For example locate all Customers who have a "Last Sales Date" of "00/00/00". This would be Customers that have not purchased product.
2. Click the "Execute" button to build the Search. Click on the "OK" button and the Output screen of the "Customer" records opens.
3. With the "Customer" Output screen open choose: Customers menu > Show Contacts . This opens an Output screen showing all the Contacts related the Customers found in step 1. Leave this list open.
Setting up the Fields in the Quick Report
Next, set up the fields that you want to Export. Some fields come from the "Contact" record and some from the "Customer" record.
1. File menu > Print Quick Report
2. The choices of fields from the "Contacts" record are available in the "Field Selection List". Select the desired fields to Export. For example FirstName, LastName, and Title can be selected from the list by dragging and dropping them into the "QuickReport".
3. Some fields are located in the "Customer file. To change files click and hold the mouse down between the two arrows at the top of the "Field Selection List". Select "Customers".
4. The "Field Selection List" now shows fields from the "Customer" file. Select Customer, Address1, Address2, City, State and Zip and move them onto the report.
5. If this is going to be done on a regular basis, save the report as "QR [Contacts] Exp Addresses". Then it will be available without setting it up each time.
Setting up for exporting the Quick Report
1. File Menu > Print to
Select "Disk File" click "OK".
2. Click the "Print" button. Name the Exporting document. It automatically saves to the "JIT Reports" folder, but can be overridden.
The "End of Field" delimiter automatically comes up as "9", which is a tab. If comma is desired, use "44" instead.