Changing Item Numbers on a Massive scale
There is an art to designing clean understandable and easy to manage Item number. Because there is often a learning experience when developing Item number, CommerceExpert/WebClerk has two means of changing existing Item numbers.
To change the item number of a single item:
1. Go to the "Item" record.
2. Action menu > Unlock Fields
Enter the new Item Number in that field.
3. Hold down the "Option" key and "Tab" out of the field.
4. Confirm that you would like to change the Item and its Related files.
To simplify massive updates to Item numbers do the following:
1. Export out the Item numbers you wish to change.
2. Open in a spread sheet the Exported Item number, insert the new Item number in the cell directly to the right of the existing Item number.
3. Save only the existing and new Item number columns.
4. Run a check to make sure there are no duplicate new Item numbers.
a. Sort both old and new Item number columns by the new Item number.
b. Place a Unique Value formula in the 3rd column,
c. Fill the formula down the page.
d. Copy the error checking column and paste it special as values only.
e. Search for "error" in the spread sheet.
f. (Option) Sort by the error checking values column to consolidate any errors.
5. Save only the two columns with the old and new Item numbers as text.
6. Go to the Program Management menu hold down the "Command" - "Control" Keys and select a different Dept menu).
7. Select the document to open.
8. A procedure will run, changing the Item numbers in the first column with the value in the second column.