Changing Item Prices
This Technical Note explains the process of changing the price of a group of Items. This example uses the "Average Cost" of the Items as the base dollar amount for the calculation. Other dollar amounts, such as one of the current Price Points, could be substituted as the base dollar amount.
You are familiar with the "Export" and "Import" feature in CommerceExpert/WebClerk.
You have a spread sheet application available to run the modification of the base dollar amount. (Excel is used in the example)
1. Find the desired group of "Item" records and open them in an Output screen. This can be done by choosing "All Items..." or using the "Search Editor" to define the selection.
2. Choose: File menu > Export General... to open the "Export Editor".
3. Choose the "ItemNum" and "StdCost" fields to Export and click the "Export" button to initiate the procedure.
4. Name the Export text document (Item Cost in the example) and save it to the " jit Exports" folder.
Note: If your computer has sufficient ram to have both CommerceExpert/WebClerk and the spread sheet application open at the same time, you will not need to quit CommerceExpert/WebClerk prior to opening the spreadsheet application. It there is not sufficient ram, close CommerceExpert/WebClerk prior to opening the spreadsheet for the next step.
Running the Calculation
1. Open the spreadsheet application. Excel is used in the example.
2. Choose: File menu > Open
Locate and open the text document exported in step 4 above.
3. The first column displays the Item Number, the second column is the base dollar amount (Std Cost in our example). The third column becomes the new price which will Import back into CommerceExpert/WebClerk.
In the third column create the calculation desired for the new price. In this example we want to multiply the Cost by an Exchange Rate and then double it as the new price.
= (StdCost / exchange rate)*2
Note: if the amount needs to round up to the nearest whole dollar the calculation is as follows: =ROUND(((B16/1.6)*2)+0.5,0).
4. Fill the calculation down the entire column and title the column "New Price".
5. Close the document, saving it replacing the old document.
1. From within CommerceExpert/WebClerk choose: File menu > Import General...
The "Import Editor" opens.
2. Click on the "Open Import File" button and select the text document saved in step 5 above. The first data to appear are the Header for each column.
3. Line up the Headers with the fields as shown in the illustration. Note that the second column is not Imported, use the "Sp" button to create the space.
4. Make sure the "Search By" field, in the lower right hand area is displaying the "ItemNum" as the field to Search by.
5. Click on the "Load Next Record" button to get rid of the Header and load the first record of data.
6. Click on the "Save All" button. After the warning screen appears and you say "OK", estimate the number of records that are being Imported and click "OK" again. (Do not worry about the estimated number it only effects the visual displayed thermometer. It does not prevent records from Importing.)
7. When the process is complete, click the "Close Window" button.