Modifying a "Customer" record
This Tech Note acquaints you with the "Customer" record and it's features.
There are three Splash screens in CommerceExpert/WebClerk, Sales, Admin, and Production
1. From the Sales Splash screen GOTO Customer menu >> All Customers
An Output layout opens listing all Customers in the data file and some of their data.
For our exercise Bob from Neifer's Golf has sent a postcard to report a change in address. The "Customer" record for Neifer's Golf needs to be modified to reflect the change in address for future transactions.
2. Locate Neifer's Golf in the Output layout screen and double click on it to open an Input layout of that individual "Customer" record. The first screen of "Customer" records is the "General" page.
3. Highlight the old address of 1515 Samson Cr. and enter the new address of 9947 Vally Rd.
Bob also noted on his postcard that he has opened a new store in Florida so he can spend his winters there. A new "ShipTo" address also needs to be added for this record. This is done on the "Shipping" page of the "Customer" record.
In the upper left hand corner of the "Customer" record is the Navigation Pallet. It shows the word "General" because we are on the "General" page. This is a Popup menu and is used to access the different pages of each record. The Navigation Pallet is located in many areas of the program always in the upper left hand corner. If there are numerous pages to a record you will be able to access them from here. If the record has only one page, the words "One Page Only" will be shown in the Popup area of the Navigation Pallet.
4. In the Popup menu navigate to the word "Shipping". This opens the "Shipping" page of this individuals "Customer" record. Any number of "ShipTo" addresses and/or "Contacts" can be added to the "Shipping" page. They share the same "Included Layout" section of the "Shipping" page, it is named "Contacts".
To view an address record in detail double click on it to open the record.
5. For our example we wish to add a new address record. To add a new record to this area double click on the words "First Name" in the title bar of the "Contacts Included Layout" section.
6. A screen opens for the entry of a new Contact/ Shipping address. Some of the "Customer" record information will transfer to this record.
Bob's new address is: Joy Henkins
34 Hwy. 120
Orlando, Fl 34521
7. Enter in the Carrier information in the "Ship Via" field from the Popup menu choices of "Carrier" records. If you select UPS Ground, the UPS Zones, if in your system, are automatically entered.
8. There are fields for individual phone, fax, and email for this Contact, these are for this individual contact and do not affect the main "Customer" record.
9. Click "OK" to save and exit the new record. There are now two records in the " Included Layout" area of the "Shipping" page.
10. Click "OK" to return to the "Customer" record and then "OK" to leave this individual record and return to the Sales Splash screen.