Adding a new Item is similar to adding other records.
1. In this learning exercise we will be adding new Items to the data base. Depts menu >> Production
2. Items menu >> Add Item
A new "Item" record opens, assigning a new Item number. Item numbers can be overridden.
3. Type in the new Item number as BB106
4. The new Item is a catcher's mask. Type "Catcher's Mask" in the "Description" area.
5. The "Type" field can be used as you wish to manage product types. The "Type" field can be used for Searching, Sorting, and reports.
6. The four "Profile" fields are available for you to use as fits your needs. These fields are Searchable, Sortable, and also may be used in Reports. The demo data is set as a Sporting Goods Distributor. For this data, examples of uses for those fields would possibly be, Size, Color, Team, Sport, etc..
7. The "Retail" price is $15.50, the "Wholesale" price is $7.75, the "Distributor" price is $7.00, and the "Sample" price is $0. These are our four Price Points. Each Item can have all four of these Price Points. CommerceExpert/WebClerk draws the appropriate Price Point by reading Retail, Wholesale, etc. from the "Customers" record. Price Points may be altered. They are very flexable.
8. The "Lead Time" for this Item is 15 days.
9. The "Qty Default on Sale" is the default number entered when the Item number is entered into an Order.
10. "Qty Min Stock" field is the number you wish to sell down to before reorder of this product.
11. "Qty on Hand" is the number of this Item currently in Inventory. This is filled when the Item is Inshipped. This is covered in another exercise.
12. The "Qty on Sales Order" field is a Tally of Items that are on Order but not yet shipped. This field is auto filled.
13. The "Qty on PO's" is the Qty Ordered from the Vendors but not yet recieved. Again this field is enterable.
14. "Unit of Measure" deafults to each if this Item is sold in a qty different then one override this field.
15. "Average Weight" is the weight of the Item in the Unit of measure. If an Item is sold by the dozen, weigh 12 of the Item and enter the weight here. In our exercise the Catcher's masks are sold in units of 1 and weigh 1.5 lbs each so we enter 1.5.
16. "Location" is used to help in the picking and packing of the Items. If Items are located in a certian order in the wharehouse, you would use corresponding location and numbers. Forms such as Pick Lists and Invoices can be designed to print the Line Items in location order.
All Baseball Items are located in Section 15 of the warehouse. Type in the number 15.
17. "Updated" is a clickable field click on the "II Updated" to enter the current date into this field. If this is an old record and the price is being changed etc. use this to re-mark the date. This will help you track the last time this Item was modifyed.
18. "Web page" is a field that selects the template number of the background web page on which this Items is to be displayed on your web site.
19. "Published" if greater then zero shows presents on the internet. If zero this Item is not featured in your web catalog.
20. The "Sales G/L", " Cost G/L ", and "Assets G/L" relate directly to communicationg with your accounting package. The default accounts are fine for this record.
21. Next are checkboxes for:
"Taxable" check if the Item is taxable
" Serialized" checked if the Item is serialized
"Back Order onNew Invoices" is checked if this Item needs to show backordered on an Item when the quantity is greater then zero
"Discountable" if a discount has been entered into a "Customers" record
"Quanity Price Breaks" if this Item is to have an automatic discount levels for Quantities Ordered. These are set in the box directly below the checkboxes. Use the "+" key or the "+" button to place the cursur in the qty. box. An example would be: Qty Low Qty High Discnt%
0 150 0.00%
151 300 5.0%
301 500 7.0%
501 1000 9.0%
1001 5000 11.0%
There are three other pages in the "Item" record. One for projections, one for specifications, and another for the Bill of Materials. There is othing in this exercise to be entered into these pages. They are covered in other sections of the Manual.
22. Click the "OK" button to save and exit the "Item" record card.