Serial Number Tracking
This Technical Note identifies how to use the serial number tracking feature to identify the serial numbers and who sold the serial numbered Item.
You are familiar with the Search, Purchase Order and Invoice features of CommerceExpert/WebClerk.
You have serial number data in the program or will enter it as defined in Data Setup below.
There are several files which control or have effect on serial numbers.
1. The "Default" file controls whether serial numbers are tracked or not.
To have serial numbers specified at the Order Entry stage, you must check the "Serial Nums in Ord" checkbox in the "Default" record.
2. The "Item" file defines which specific Items have serial number tracking.
3. The" ItemSerial" file tracks the specific serial numbers and their background information.
4. The "SrlAction"s file tracks specific actions relative to specific serial numbers.
File menu > Show Defaults
Use the Navigation Pallet and choose the" Options" Page.
1. Mare sure "Track Serial Numbers" is checked, save and close the "Defaults" record.
2. Select an Item that is marked to track serial numbers in the "Item" record.
3. Assure there is data in the program so that serial numbers work may be viewed.
If data is not available, Import data into the "ItemSerial" file or receive a number of serialized Items in Purchase Orders. When receiving serialized items in PO’s, a dialog window will open requiring you to specify the serial number of the Item being received.
4. Sell serial number Items as you would sell any other Item. When selling a serialized Item a dialog window will open requiring that a serial number be selected.
Aside from the normal Search and Sort features of CommerceExpert/WebClerk, serial numbers have a number of additional features which aid in tracking serial number activity.
1. Review menu > Find Serial Number
2. Type the desired serial number in the "Serial Number" field. Type "Tab" or "Return" to initiate the search. If one or more serial number are found, the first will be listed and alternate Item Number will be listed in the Popup menu to the right of the serial number field.
NOTE: Serial numbers must be unique for each Item Number. However, since different Items could have the same serial number, the actual serial number does not have to be unique.
Searching by serial number shows CommerceExpert/WebClerk who bought the Item, if it was sold.
The Vendor could be one of two options, the Vendor from which the serial number was obtained or the Vendor who sold the serial number to an end Customer.
3. Account for claim expenses by entering the total of all claims in the "Claims" field.
4. Navigate to the full "Serial Number" record by clicking on the "Sr Rec" button on the right side of the screen.
5. Go to the Customer who purchased the Item by clicking on the "Cust" button.
6. Go to the Vendor who sold or from whom the Item was purchased by clicking on the "Vend" button.
Serial Number activity in Order and Invoice Lines
1. When Invoicing a serialized Items from an Order or entering an Invoice a dialog will open asking you to select the serial number to use with the Line Item. Enter the serial number of the Item you sold and click “OK”. If a list of available serial numbers has been entered into the system you may select the appropriate serial number from the list available.
2. When entering support Items or Services for a serialized Item, click on the "Magnifying" icon.
The Line Item dialog window will open.
Use the “rf” button to open the "Serial Number" field and then enter the "Referenced" serial number for this Line Item.
The “sr” button allows you to change or assign a serial number.
Serial Number activity in PO lines
When receiving serialized Items in a PO’s, a dialog will open asking you to enter the serial number to use with the Line. Complete the information and click "OK".
Serial Number Records and History
1. When in a "Serial Number" record, the information on purchasing and selling the serialized Item is listed on the left and right sides.
2. The "Set Vendor" button is used when outside Vendors are selling your serialize Items and you wish to record who sold the serial number to the end Customer.
3. Use the "Unlock" button to unlock the fields in the "Serial Record" layout so other changes may be made.
4. If a serialized Item is returned from a Customer, the price and discount listed in the "Serial" record is used to enter the price and discount on the "Credit Memo".
5. Every time there is a transaction relative to a specific serial number or in reference to a serial number a "Serial Transaction" record is created and listed at the bottom of the "Serial Number" record.