Convert from Mac to NT
This Tech Note covers the steps to change your server from a Mac to an NT machine.
You have and NT Server up and running on your network.
You understand and have set up the services for Mac and Windows clients on your network.
You have and existing network between your Macs and the NT server.
The NT server is properly configured. If Version 4.0, you have properly installed the Service Pack 2 from Microsoft (bug fixes).
You have downloaded or received the correct conversion kit from www.jitcorp.com or from the CD.
1. If you are running the database on a Mac, close the data base.
2. Locate the application Transporter 2.0.5. If you cannot find it, you may download it from jit’s web page.
Note: Download the Utilities pack from jit’s ftp site.
3. Drag the data file onto the "Transporter" icon.
A window will open.
4. The Transporter already knows you want to transport the data so click the "Move" button.
5. A folder called "Folder PC" will be created and will contain two items (the data and resource forks of the data file.
6. Move these two parts of the file to the Windows NT Server.
7. If you do not have the Windows version of CommerceExpert/WebClerk server structure, you may repeat this drag and drop procedure to create a Windows version of the structure.
Note: Mac server structures contain a “m” and Windows contain a “w”. This is not required but is a helpful conversion.
8. Assure that the Server and Client have sufficient memory and that the files are organized for good housekeeping (See the Housekeeping reference at www.jitcorp.com).
9. Launch your server.
10. File menu > Update License….
11. Insert your user count disks.
Note: If you are moving from a different server, you will need to recover your user counts from your disks before they can be used on the new server.
This is done by inserting the disks in that server while the server is running under Update License… and the user counts will be moved back to the floppies.
12. Open your clients just as you would on non-mixed environment.