Setting up Insight in conjunction with CommerceExpert/WebClerk
This Technical Note assists in setting up the accounting package "Peachtree Insight Accounting", enabling it to share data between CommerceExpert/WebClerk and Insight. Please refer to the "Guide to GettingStarted" which came with the "Peachtree Insight Accounting" set of manuals. It explains in more detail some of the steps to be taken. The two modules we suggest using are the "Accounts Payable" and the "General Ledger". The Payroll module can also be used.
These assumptions will be used in setting up the example data. If your situation differs alterations can be made. For example, if your fiscal year is not the calendar year, you would make the alteration as you come to those instructions.
You have loaded both programs onto your hard drive.
You have a complete set of User Manuals Insight.
You have basic accounting knowledge.
You run on a calendar fiscal year.
Creating the Insight G/L Data and Chart of Accounts
1. Open the folder "Insight G/L" from within the "Insight 4.0" folder.
2. Double click on the "Insight G/L" icon to initiate the building of your companies data set.
3. Click on the "New" button.
4. Name the data set with your companies name and click the "Save" button.
5. Choose "Distributors" as the type of company and "This company does not have divisions".
Note: The sample charts of accounts are displayed in the manual "General Ledger User Manual" Appendix B. You may want to view these to see if another structure fits your company better.
6. Click "Continue" and the set of data is created. This make take a minute or two, depending on the speed of your computer. When complete the accounting program opens with your data set.
7. Report menu > Account List. A dialog box opens. Leave the defaults as they are and print a list of your "Chart of Accounts".
Review the account list. You may need to add accounts or delete those that will never be used. Accounts may also be renamed. Refer to the section covering "General Ledgers " for information on adding, deleting or altering accounts.
Setting up the Business Information
1. Refer to the section covering "General Ledgers " for information on each of the choices in the Business Set up. Refer to those pages if you have any questions. Below is the example of how I set up this sample data set.
Setting up the Import Template
1. File menu > Import
2. Highlight "Master General Journal Template". Click the "Duplicate" button.
3. Click on the "Edit" button. Rename the template as "Import Journals from CommerceExpert/WebClerk."
4. All the defaults are correct. Click the "Save" button.
Verifying account codes between Insight and CommerceExpert/WebClerk
In order for the two software programs to share information, they must contain the same "Account`Codes". To follow are areas in CommerceExpert/WebClerk that must contain matching "Account Codes". The sample data (ABC Company) uses the "Distributor" accounts set up in the first part of this Tech Note.
1. Admin dept > Records menu > Accounts
2. The "Accounts" record contains accounts used as defaults. In the illustration below I have used the accounts which correspond to those set up for ABC Company.
Note: We have the capability of further dividing some of the accounts. For example, if you wanted to separate the commissions payable to Reps vs commissions payable to Employees, two accounts could be set up. You would set them up in Insight and also use them in CommerceExpert/WebClerk. (Actually each Rep could have their own accounts payable number.)
The following records can contain their own account numbers. The accounts put in on this page for these files are used as defaults, if no account is found in the particular record or as you are setting up the records.
Cost of Sales
Tax Jurisdiction Sales Tax Payable
Rep Commission Payable
3. The second page of the accounts record is the "Pay Types" page. You set up the various ways you receive payments and which "G/L Accounts" to debit and credit.
4. Each of the" Item" records must contain valid "Sales", "Cost of Sales", and an"Inventory General Ledger Number" in order to record the sales properly when creating "Sales Journals". If you have Items set up already you must input a valid "Account Number". This can be done by going into each record and typing the "Account Numbers" or by the using "Apply to Selection" feature and input the same numbers to a group of Items.
5. Each of the "Tax Juris" records must have a valid "Sales Tax Payable" G/L number. This can also be accomplished individually or by using the "Apply to Selection" feature.
6. Each of the" Rep" records must have a valid "Commission Payable" G/L number. This can also be accomplished individually or by using the "Apply to Selection" feature.
In CommerceExpert/WebClerk verify that "Default Accounting Division" say "1". File menu > Show Defaults and navigating to the "Option 1" page.
Setting up Payables
CommerceExpert/WebClerk has the capability of creating "Purchase Journals". In some instances, depending on the accounting package being used, this is a helpful feature. In the case of "Peachtree Insight Accounting" it is more efficient to use the "Accounts Payable" module in conjunction with the "Purchase Order" System in CommerceExpert/WebClerk.
The "Accounts Payable" module allows scheduling of payments to your vendors as well as actually printing the checks.
Once the "General Ledger" account numbers have been set up, import your GL numbers. This saves time and is more efficient.
There is a separate Tech Notes which explains the work flow of Purchase Orders and Payables.