There are several options for merging through Microsoft Word, traditional Export, scripting a defined report for the desired file and scripting a report for a related file.
1. Make a selection of "Customer" records for which you wish to send a letter.
2. File menu > Select Export General…
3. Select the fields you wish to use in a merged document.
4. If you are going to regularly export these same fields, save the Export pattern so it can be recalled and used at a later date.
5. Export the fields. It is helpful to Export the list of names to the same folder and the same file name. This will allow you to preset the Word document to look for the specific merge document.
6. Open Word.
7. Depending on the version of Word you are using, set the variables and the merge document.
8. Version 6 of word you must setup the merge from the Tools menu.
9. Follow the guidelines for linking to a merge document.
10. It may be necessary to reselect the field Headers from the "Insert Merge Field" list in the Tool Palette.
11. Merge the files during printing.